REQUIREMENTS – the following requirements must be met:
- 25-hour Pre-License Course. You must already have completed a pre license course from Utah Home Builders Association (UHBA), or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC), or Associated Builders and Contractors Inc (ABC),.
- General Liability Insurance Certificate. You must have obtained a general liability insurance certificate with minimum required coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total that covers and where DOPL is listed as certificate holder.
- Registered your business entity. If you are a corporation, LLC, LLP, or partnership, have you registered your business with the Utah Division of Corporations. Apply at: https://corporations.utah.gov
- Obtained Federal EIN. You must have obtained an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. Apply for EIN at: https://www.irs.gov. If you are a sole proprietor and are using your own SSN, click Yes.
- If you have employees, you MUST:
- Have obtained a certificate of workers compensation insurance with DOPL as certificate holder.
- Have obtained a state withholding tax registration from the Utah State Tax Commission.
- Have obtained an unemployment registration from the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
Pass the Utah Contractor Business and Law Exam
Provide 2 years of documented work experience in construction (W-2 or 1099)
Submit this information with the completed Application form to the Department of Professional Licensing.