What do you need for your general contractor’s (B100, R100, E100) license?

REQUIREMENTS – the following requirements must be met:

  • 25-hour Pre-License Course.  You must already have completed a pre license course from Utah Home Builders Association (UHBA), or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC), or Associated Builders and Contractors Inc (ABC),.
  • General Liability Insurance Certificate.  You must have obtained a general liability insurance certificate with minimum required coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total that covers and where DOPL is listed as certificate holder.
  • Registered your business entity.  If you are a corporation, LLC, LLP, or partnership, have you registered your business with the Utah Division of Corporations.  Apply at: https://corporations.utah.gov
  • Obtained Federal EIN.  You must have obtained an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service.  Apply for EIN at: https://www.irs.gov.  If you are a sole proprietor and are using your own SSN, click Yes.
  • If you have employees, you MUST:
    • Have obtained a certificate of workers compensation insurance with DOPL as certificate holder.
    • Have obtained a state withholding tax registration from the Utah State Tax Commission.
    • Have obtained an unemployment registration from the Utah Department of Workforce Services.

Pass the Utah Contractor Business and Law Exam

Provide 2 years of documented work experience in construction (W-2 or 1099)

Submit this information with the completed Application form to the Department of Professional Licensing.

Utah Home Builders Association

Leave a Comment