Helping People Obtain Their Contractor’s License in Utah

The Utah Home Builders Association provides a pre-licensure course, which is necessary when you apply for a contractor license in Utah.

Those who want to work as contractors in Utah need to satisfy the requirements laid down by the state’s Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). Getting a contractor’s license is mandatory, as contracting without one is a violation of the law. This offense is a Class A misdemeanor, which is punishable by a jail term and a hefty fine.

Crane CE

The Process of Obtaining a Contractor’s License

Here are the steps to securing a contractor’s license in Utah:

  1. Identify your business category to determine the type of contractor license you need.
  2. Satisfy the initial requirements. You have to be at least 18 years old and have a minimum of two years of full-time related work experience within the last decade.
  3. Take the license exam.
  4. Complete business requirements, such as getting an Employer Identification Number (EIN) registering with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Utah State Tax Commission, respectively.
  5. Meet financial requirements, such as securing a Utah Contractor’s Bond and liability insurance.
  6. Complete the License Application Form.
  7. Pay the license fee of $405 ($195 for the cost of the initial assessment and $210 for the first licensure classification).
  8. Submit all documentary requirements to DOPL.

License Application Requirements

This form has multiple sections. You need to provide:

Basic personal and contact information, such as the legal name of your business, your telephone number and your mailing address

Answers to qualifying questions that determine your criminal history

Information about your business organization

Name of your employees (if applicable)

Additional Requirements for Contractors with Employees

You need to satisfy the following requirements if you have people working for you:

Unemployment Insurance

All employers in Utah are required to secure this form of insurance at the state’s Department of Workforce Services.

Withholding Tax Registration

Employers need to register with the State Tax Commission of Utah.

Worker’s Compensation Insurance

Employers in Utah must maintain this type of insurance coverage for injuries related to work.

Meeting the Educational Requirements

Utah requires contractors to satisfy a couple of educational requirements. These are:

25-Hour Pre-Licensure Course

All aspiring contractors are required to complete this pre-requisite course.

The PSI Utah Construction Business and Law Exam

This two-hour, open-book test consists of questions on various law and business topics, such as tax laws, financial management, labor laws, contract management and business organization. The examination fee is $75.

Helping You Get Your Contractor’s License

The Utah Home Builders Association offers 25-hour pre-licensure courses to help you meet the educational requirements of a contractor’s license. You can take this course in one of our three locations: Salt Lake City, Ogden and St. George. You also have the option to attend class during the day (Wednesday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) or at night (Monday to Friday, 5 to 10 p.m.).

By completing our pre-licensure course, you will be one step closer to becoming a contractor. Register today. Call (801) 352-8266.