Frequently Asked Questions

Pre-license FAQ

Each applicant's qualifier must complete an approved Prelicensure Course or

Meet standards in R156-55a-302(f):

  1. Qualifier holds an accredited construction management degree  (2 or 4-year degree)
  2. Qualifier holds an active and unrestricted Utah professional engineer license.

Specialty Contractor Classifications:

  1. Pre-License Course
  2. General Liability Insurance Certificate
  3. Register Business Entity
  4. Obtain Federal EIN
  5. If you have employees you must: 
  • Obtain a certificate of Workers Compensation Insurance Certificate
  • Obtain a State Withholding Tax Registration
  • Obtain an Unemployment Registration

6. If you do NOT have employees:

  • Obtain a Workers Compensation Waiver from the Labor Commission

General Contractors:

All of the same requirements for Specialty Contractor License PLUS:

  1. 2 years or 4,000 hours of PAID work experience
  2. Pass the Utah Business and Law Exam
  3. Plumbing contractor: Must have a Master Plumber qualifier
  4. Electrical contractor: Must have a Master Electrician qualifier

Please refer to the Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act Rule (55a)

Meet the requirements for your desired license and fill out this Contractor Application

The Prelicensure course is required to be taken in person by law.

Send the application to DOPL, PO Box 146741, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741. Applications can also be hand-delivered to DOPL at 160 East 300 South, First Floor, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111. After your application has been received by DOPL, please wait 4-6 weeks before checking on the status of your application.

The Utah Business and Law exam is taken through Prov, Inc. and can be scheduled at

You do not need to have anything done before the course. You can view our schedule here.

You will receive a certificate of completion and after you have filled out the application and gather all the documents you can send your paperwork to DOPL.

Continuing Education FAQ

If your legal name has changed, you need to verify the change by submitting a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, driver's license, or social security card to DOPL.

More information click Here 

Nov. 30 2025 - All Contractor license's expire on Nov 30th of odd years (2025, 2027, 2029)

Each licensee, or the licensee's qualifier, or an officer, director, or supervising individual, as designated by the licensee.

Contractors need 6 hours.
Within that 6 hours 1 hour needs to be energy.
3 hours need to be a live course and the remaining 3 hours can be live or online. 
You may take any class that you would like to renew your license. Note: for 2023 renewal, you do need 1 hour of energy code as part of the 6 hours you take.

At this time none of our 6 hour classes include energy code unless otherwise indicated. However It is available on our online platform separately. You can sign up for that class Here

For an S330 or S410, if you install backflow protectors, you must take 2 hours of backflow as part of the 6 total hours. For an S350 you must take 3 hours (of the total 6 hours) of an HVAC specific class which is directly related to the installation, repair, or replacement of a heating, ventilation, or air conditioning system. This 3 hours includes energy code.
DOPL requires you to take at least 3 "live" credits (webinars or in person) and up to 3 credits online.
You will receive a certificate of completion for your records and we will upload your credits to DOPL. It takes about 5 business days for the credit to be recorded and your renewal to be available. 
In the fall of a renewal year, you will receive a renewal ID via email. Once you receive this you may renew your license.

If you renew your license between Dec 1 - 30 there is a $20 late fee added to the renewal fee.

 If you renew your license after Dec 30 there is a $50 late/reinstatement fee added to the renewal fee.

 If your license has been expired for over 2 years then you must reapply for the license.

Click Here and watch the step by step renewal video.