What Do I Need to Complete in Order to Become a Specialty Contractor in Utah?

(Click any of the listed items to learn more info)

A person working on a draft floor plan

 What Do I Need to Complete in Order to   Become a General Contractor in Utah?

(Click any of the listed items to learn more info)

Pre-license FAQ

Each applicant's qualifier must complete an approved Prelicensure Course or

Meet standards in R156-55a-302(f):

  1. Qualifier holds an accredited construction management degree  (2 or 4-year degree)
  2. Qualifier holds an active and unrestricted Utah professional engineer license.

Specialty Contractor Classifications:

  1. Pre-License Course
  2. General Liability Insurance Certificate
  3. Register Business Entity
  4. Obtain Federal EIN
  5. If you have employees you must: 
  • Obtain a certificate of Workers Compensation Insurance Certificate
  • Obtain a State Withholding Tax Registration
  • Obtain an Unemployment Registration

6. If you do NOT have employees:

  • Obtain a Workers Compensation Waiver from the Labor Commission

General Contractors:

All of the same requirements for Specialty Contractor License PLUS:

  1. 2 years or 4,000 hours of PAID work experience
  2. Pass the Utah Business and Law Exam
  3. Plumbing contractor: Must have a Master Plumber qualifier
  4. Electrical contractor: Must have a Master Electrician qualifier

Meet the requirements for your desired license and fill out this Contractor Application

The Prelicensure course is required to be taken in person by law.

Send the application to DOPL, PO Box 146741, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741. Applications can also be hand-delivered to DOPL at 160 East 300 South, First Floor, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111. After your application has been received by DOPL, please wait 4-6 weeks before checking on the status of your application.

The Utah Business and Law exam is taken through Prov, Inc. and can be scheduled at provexam.com

You do not need to have anything done before the course. You can view our schedule here.

You will receive a certificate of completion and after you have filled out the application and gather all the documents you can send your paperwork to DOPL.

Continuing Education FAQ

Each licensee, or the licensee's qualifier, or an officer, director, or supervising individual, as designated by the licensee.
Contractors need 6 hours.

You may take any class that you would like to renew your license. You do need 1 hour of energy code as part of the 6 hours you take.

Most of our 6 hour classes include energy code and are indicated as such. It is also available on our online platform separately.

For an S330 or S410, if you install backflow protectors, you must take 2 hours of backflow as part of the 6 total hours.
For an S350 you must take 3 hours (of the total 6 hours) of an HVAC specific class which is directly related to the installation, repair, or replacement of a heating, ventilation, or air conditioning system. This 3 hours includes energy code.

DOPL requires that you take at least 3 hours 'live'. This can be done in person or via a live webinar.

You will receive a certificate of completion for your records and we will upload your credits to DOPL. You will then wait until you receive a postcard in the mail from DOPL with your renewal ID to renew your license.

In the fall, you will receive a renewal ID via email. Once you receive this you may renew your license.

We've made a walk through video with all of the documents and steps you need to renew you license. 

You may visit this video for free at https://onlinece.hbautah.com/course/dopl-license-renewal

To change the name on your license, you need to verify Your new name by submitting a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, driver's license, or social security card to DOPL.

More information click Here